Wednesday, June 6, 2007

#9 - The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros


We've had this book on our English reading list for several years, and the kids who read it enjoyed it. So I decided to add it to my list for the summer. It's not what I expected, but I liked it. It's the story of Esperaza Cordero, a young Hispanic girl who lives in Chicago's Hispanic quarter. She introduces the reader to many of her neighbors and shares their stories. Sandra Cisneros writes in such a way that helped me visualize the neighborhood and the characters she "painted." She addresses topics such as family and sexuality that make us think. It's a great book that I will encourage students and teachers to read.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise!
I read 'Mango Street' a few years back to make sure it was suitable for our MS library shelves. I needn't have worried, because it doesn't seem to get checked out very often, which is a shame, because I think it's a really great book. Another good Hispanic title you might want to read or recommend to your HS students who liked this one is Bless Me, Ultima.

Did you make it to ALA this year? I thought I remembered you saying you were going, but Frankie thought I might have it confused with a DKG conference instead. Anyhoo, hope your summer is going well. We are getting ready for a trip west to visit family in Arizona. Gotta find some books on tape for that one!
Jerry