Wednesday, May 23, 2007

# 8 - Life of Pi by Yann Martel


FINALLY!!! I can't believe it has been almost two months since I finished a book to post. This one was worth the read, but it definitely took longer than I expected.


I don't remember when I first heard about Life of Pi. It's quite an adventure story which reminded me of The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. The struggle between man and nature is amazing. I felt as if I were in the lifeboat with Pi as he floated across the Pacific Ocean. I could smell the sea, and I could see the unending horizon. I'll admit that I gagged more than once as Pi described his meals along his journey. And Richard Parker! What a character! To be stuck on a lifeboat in the middle of nowhere with a 450-pound Bengal tiger as my only "companion" would be quite an experience. If you like adventure novels that keep you wanting to know what's going to happen next, you'll enjoy reading Life of Pi.

No comments: