For my educational administration class, I had to read a book on leadership. I found Measure of a Leader while browsing the leadership books at Books-A-Million in Texarkana. The first chapter hooked me. I generally don't read this type of non-fiction, but it certainly gave me lots to think about. Aubrey and James Daniels discuss leadership in terms of how followers behave in response to the leader. They encourage positive reinforcement and advocate that it should be used often and immediately but that it should also be very personal (no one-size-fits-all) and earned. The least effective types of positive reinforcement are financial. Interesting, huh? I probably underlined and re-read more passages of this book than any other book. If you're looking for a thought-provoking book to help develop your leadership skills, give this one a try.
Monday, March 19, 2007
#5 - Measure of a Leader
For my educational administration class, I had to read a book on leadership. I found Measure of a Leader while browsing the leadership books at Books-A-Million in Texarkana. The first chapter hooked me. I generally don't read this type of non-fiction, but it certainly gave me lots to think about. Aubrey and James Daniels discuss leadership in terms of how followers behave in response to the leader. They encourage positive reinforcement and advocate that it should be used often and immediately but that it should also be very personal (no one-size-fits-all) and earned. The least effective types of positive reinforcement are financial. Interesting, huh? I probably underlined and re-read more passages of this book than any other book. If you're looking for a thought-provoking book to help develop your leadership skills, give this one a try.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment